Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The decision

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from Amnesty International inviting me to join the 2012 Kilimanjaro Challenge.  After a wee bit of deliberation I decided to do it. If I didn't take the opportunity I was sure I would regret it.  People suffering an abuse of their human rights throughout the world don't have the middle class luxury of deciding whether or not to climb a mountain in Africa.  I have huge respect for the work that Amnesty International do and I think this is the least I can do to help them raise essential funds to continue their work.  I have also convinced my partner Anton to come along for the ride!

It will be hard.  It will be a huge challenge to fundraise $10 000.00 before June 2012.  I don't have the luxury of a circle of wealthy friends or a rich family.  I don't work in a highly paid corporate job, so I can't 'whip around the office' or really do anything work based to raise the funds.  I work at a community radio station which runs on a shoestring budget, and I don't want to divert fundraising money from the station to my cause.

So I have to think up inventive ways to fundraise.  So far, me and Anton have organised a film fundraiser at Nova Carlton Cinema on Thursday November 17th screening the premier of 'The First Grader'.  Check out the link on Facebook HERE for more info and to purchase a ticket:


This is just the beginning and I will keep you updated on my progress (both physical and financial) here.  If you would like to donate to my fundraising efforts, please do so at the link below.  You will get a warm fuzzy feeling for giving to a fantastic charity and will be issued a tax deductible receipt to offset against your tax bill, and I will be eternally grateful:


Helen



No comments:

Post a Comment